What is the First Generation
What is First Generation?
Being a First Generation student means your parents/guardians did not attend college, university or obtain an apprenticeship in Canada.
At Sault College all crown ward and international students are considered First Generation.
About the Initiative
The First Generation Initiative is funded by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
The reason for the funding is that the government wants to make sure that FG students attend and graduate from college. They want FG students to start a new family tradition – one of being a college graduate. The reason for the government support is simple.
- have higher earnings
- have higher earnings’ growth over time
- have lower risk of job loss
- have a higher income in retirement
- transmit the value of a post-secondary education and act as education role models for their children
- have more opportunity for career moves and career choices
- are active and engaged citizens
We would love to keep in touch!
Subscribe to our mailing list.